Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cell Phoes and Such

Now..let's be very clear about this. I do love cell phones. I love the technology, the different makes and models and just about everything else about 'em. I don't think that has ever been a real big secret. But lately I have started to change my view of them and Sunday was almost the last straw.
I was serving on the table Sunday morning and many things distracted me from the experience. Babies crying, people talking and laughing and cell phones. They were everywhere. I will not name names but there were quite a few people using them to clearly text and to generally just play with. In the MIDDLE of the Lord's Supper. Where have we come to as a church that this is acceptable. I wanted to to rip the phones out of their hands and toss them out the lobby doors. Have we no respect or thankfulness for what has been done for us as a church and as christians? It surely doesn't appear that we do. I don't mean to base the whole church's attitude on a small few, but aren't we only as strong as the weakest among us?
Sunday night I also noticed that someone had the bible stored on their phone. At first I thought that was pretty cool. But then it made me wonder if they miss the smell, the feel and the way YOUR bible makes you feel. I misplaced my bible and my message bible during the move and took another bible I had to church on sunday. It just wasn't the same (now I know how Jackie feels about her old bible =)
So..I have decided to leave my cell phone either in the car or at home during church from now on. And i've also decided to try and not be so dependent on it. I am also praying hard for those individuals I saw using theirs and for us as a church that we will be a more christ centered body. =)

4 comments:

Jackie said...

The smell of the binding . . .like an old friend who has never let me down. It's nice to hear that someone gets it.

So many things that disrupt worship - satan doing his best to "escape that glass" - - man, do I know where you're coming from.

jenn said...

Well worth the wait! what a great blog, what amazing growth you have exhibited in the recent path:)
I've never thought about the bible being on cell phones and PDAs the way you described it. I really like the sound of my bible as i flip through the pages.
I hope you have a better day today!

Darla said...

I have to leave my two cents worth also because I was BEHIND a couple of our men using their cell phones to PLAY! BUT I also was sitting next to two men using their cell phone or a PDA that both have the Bible stored on them. I think it is very accessible, search-easy and fast once you learn how to handle them. (Some are still slow)
When you are on the computer daily at your work, sitting down with a paper version of the Bible seems slow. I miss my Bible.com when I sit down to do research of topics in my Bible study in fact, I may read the paper version but have the computer near by for research. I like the weight of my Bible but the interactivity of the web-based version.

The only ones who desire to be criticized were the BIG
BOYS who were playing. I have no criticism for those who are keeping up with the lesson using their cell phones. I knew they were on task. The ones in front of me were not. BUT then again....I sit behind them all the time and they never are listening.

To each their own.

Amy said...

It's amazing what you see if you just look...